Monday, December 3, 2007

The meaning of Christmas

This year we are trying to remind Landon of the true meaning of Christmas... OUR SAVIOR'S BIRTH! We tell Landon that we are celebrating Jesus' birthday. At first he said, "No, my birthday." I think he wishes his birthday was everyday. :)

He sees the gifts we are wrapping and thinks they are for him. As you know, a favorite word of a two year old is "mine."

We have a Willow Tree Nativity Set at our home that I let him play with. I probably should buy a play nativity set because Joseph has already broken his arm. :)

I just pray that he see the love we share and the true meaning of Christmas this year. I'd love to hear the ways you all share the true meaning of Christmas with your family.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Haley-
We are trying to do the same thing, but James get so angry with us when try to explain that Jesus was born in a stable. He does not think a baby should be born in a stable. He take Baby Jesus out and then puts him outside the stable. For the b-day, anytime we talk about a b-day he thinks it is his too.

Mrs. Hany said...

It is so hard in this day and age of materialism to teach the message of Christmas. We got a Litle People nativity that we set up in Graces room and I tell her about each person and their story. I also think the simple act of having a church and a church family creates an environment that lends itself to natural learning about Christ.

Marla H. said...

Fischer Price has a great Little People Nativity set. You have to get it online or through their catalog, but my kids just LOVE it!!!

Anonymous said...

That's funny that Landon thought it was his birthday=) Noah was trying to unwrap one of the presents under the tree the other day, I think he just assumes if there's a present it is for him! I've been feeling really overwhelmed this year with how out of control it can get with the gift giving, it's so hard not to want to get everything for the boys! So one of the ladies at MOPS passed on a tradition that we are going to try and start which is limiting the kids gifts to three every year to remind us of the three gifts that the wise men brought! I'm hoping that this will help take the focus off of the gifts so much. Adam also wants to try and do a birthday cake for Jesus this year, we're having fun making our own traditions!